Residency in Germany

Regulations about living in Germany are defined in the Residence Act. This concerns people who are not citizens of a member state of the European Union (EU) or a member state of the European Economic Area (Europäischer Wirtschaftsraum).

Would you like to stay in Germany for a short period of time just for a visit? Then you will find further information Öffnet externen Link in neuem Fensterhere.

A residence permit is needed to stay for a longer time. This is issued as

There is a special rule for Swiss nationals and members of their families. Their residence permit serves only to certify the existing right to freedom of movement. If you are a family member of an EU or EEA citizen and are therefore entitled to freedom of movement, you will be issued with a residence card for this purpose.

Source: Öffnet externen Link in neuem FensterFederal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF)

Responsible for all questions concerning the stay is the Öffnet externen Link in neuem FensterForeigners Authority of the Wetteraukreis (Ausländerbehörde).